Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Look for Solutions to Problems where the Problem Isn't!

Hale Dwoskins wrote: "The freedom that we inherently are is always closer than our next thought. The reason we miss our freedom is that we jump from thought to thought, from familiar perception to familiar perception, missing what's really happening here and now.

Even when you are working on a particular problem, allow yourself to look for where the problem isn't." (from "The Sedona Method.")

I try to think of fixing photography problems in this way, that is, when I remember to use this good advice.

When shooting a subject, many problems can arise, from: "Good Grief! Why did it have to rain today and this has to be photographed TODAY!" to "I can't believe I dropped my lens in the lake," to "How in the h_ll am I going to shoot this?"

Problems were created to be fixed; and sometimes, you have to backward engineer your methods of solving problems in order to actually solve them and remain "free" (to have peace of mind, live in the here and now, and not let your problems run and ruin your day, your week or your life!)

I've found that sometimes, you have to set aside a problem and move onto something else to work on. By doing this, I've discovered that in many cases, the solutions to the problem come naturally and I don't stress myself out over it so much.

However, humans are human and stress is a part of the game...Yes there are times, many times where I forget to release the problem, and, I fixate on the problem and that does no good!

Well, the point is this: problems arise when taking photographs; but, don't let the problems ruin the experience for you, get it...

If you drop your lens in the lake, then take up underwater photography, LOLOL!

That is for sure, Monty Python Logic - you know - "She's a witch!" "And how do you know she's a witch?" "She's dressed like one...and she has a wart!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.