Thursday, April 03, 2008

Tie Painting v.5-B


Tie Painting v.5-B
Originally uploaded by fine-grain.
Tie Painting v.5-B, originally uploaded by fine-grain.

Painted Tie Painting.
Still Life Photography.
Abstract Expressionism Painting.
---------------------------------------------

This is a photograph that "ties" (no pun intended) together my liking for Still Life Photography and Abstract Expressionism Painting. This photograph is also one of the few, first images I've edited with Paint Shop Pro's new program, X2.

I may be an anomaly in the general scope of photography, but I really do prefer Paint Shop Pro over Photo Shop.

The key, however, is still to create the best photograph possible in the camera. If the end results of the "camera-creation" are poor; then the end results after editing with software will be nowhere near what they could have been.

I fiddle around a lot with positioning lighting and moving subject and tripod around. I take many photos until I get approximately the image that I need with dark blacks and details still in the highlights; and also, I attempt to get a fairly decent gradation between the extremes. If I have to take my soft-box'ed studio flash off the light stand, and then hand hold it to get my ideal lighting, then I'll do it. In fact, that's what I had to do with this image: the lighting was too uneven when the light was sitting on the light stand.

Whatever it takes - do it.

Of course, this final result was a matter of experimentation, of adventure and creating change. And of course, help from X2.

Sometimes, I don't really know what the final image will look like until I see it. You often hear photographers saying that they have an image in their mind and then work on the photograph to get it to nearly match their mind's eye. I do that sometimes; however, more times than not (lately), I'm not sure what the final image is going to look like. I work with the image until I have that, "Ah Ha!" moment.

Then, I stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.